The Nautical Peace (Unuvi: Unuvei) is an imperial federation consisting of various federated states and territories on both Pavala and Haki, as well as several colonial holdings throughout the Yakei system. The capital and largest city of the empire is Yuuvei, with over 59 million people. The Nautical Peace's core holdings primarily lie on the rim of the Polar Expanse, the frigid ocean that covers the south pole. With over 500 million people, the Nautical Peace is one of the most influential nations in the world.
Nautical Peace is a translation of the Unuvi name for the Nautical Peace, Unuvei, roughly translating to Maritime's Peace. This comes from the Unuvi word U, roughly translating to 'maritime', and the word vei, a major concept in Unuvi philosophy roughly translating to the word 'peace'.
Citizens of the Nautical Peace are called Unuvenese in English.
The Nautical Peace is home to nearly every type of climate in the world, from the glaciated New Ice Islands to the tropical Rovne. The member states of the Nautical Peace are conventionally divided into five separate regions spanning every time zone of the globe.
- Idiba, including the states of Aahrus and Rovne
- Southern Delezia and Házélé, including the island of Unuvun
- Polar Expanse, including the various polar island chains
- Ihyai, including territories on Lavaank and Seira
The many hot spots in the Polar Expanse have created dozens of volcanic island chains, all of which are controlled by the Peace. The Peace's holdings in the ocean have varied climates ranging from coniferous forests to glaciers, and as a result are sparsely populated with the exception of the northernmost island chains.
Island groups of the Polar Expanse
|New Nokhta Islands|
|New Ice Islands|
|Islands of the Lone Tree|
|Hyelavza's Big Volcano|
Islands groups of the Uqe
|New Fihano Archipelago|
Government and politics
The Nautical Peace is an imperial federation, and the principle political unit of the empire is the state. Each state may send a certain number of representatives to the Imperial Council as negotiated in their charter of admission into the Nautical Peace. The Nautical Peace has two secondary political units, the territory and the colony. However, there is little distinction between these two different political units. Neither of them are permitted to send representatives to the Imperial Council.
Unuvun holds approximately 30% of the Nautical Peace's legislative power, while containing only about 20% of the population. Veiivinis holds approximately 50% of the voting power while containing 60% of the population. The remaining 30% of the population, spread throughout Pavala, hold only 20% of the voting power. The Imperial Council implements a parliamentary system of government, with the major political divisions running primarily along ideological lines rather than geographic ones, though there has been a widening gap between Veiivini and Unuvei interests in recent years.
The Nautical Peace's ethnic makeup is dominated by the Unuvi, owing to the nation's inception on the island of Unuvun. However, as it grew to incorporate various territories across Pavala it integrated several diverse ethnicites such as the Tana in Ihyai.
The Lasletsa policy stipulates that all citizens of the Nautical Peace must have green hair. Traditionally, this meant that citizenship was limited to ethnic Unuvi, however as time went on technological advances and an increase in immigrants led to dyeing becoming a popular way for foreigners to naturalize. Traditional alternatives to dyeing include wearing a wig or going bald. Recently, technological and surgical advances have made permanent dyeing possible. Definitions of green have expanded over the centuries and now include colors as exotic as turquoise.
The Lasletsa policy is controversial outside of the Nautical Peace, however it enjoys widespread support from citizens of the nation.
The lingua franca of the Nautical Peace is Unuvi, with an estimated 98% of the Nautical Peace being able to speak it conversationally. Significant fractions of the Unuvenese population are able to speak a second language such as Tanani or Koebbehharese.
The Nautical Peace employs a five tier educational system.
- Tier 1 is analogous to primary school, encompassing children of ages approximately 4-12.
- Tier 2 is analogous to secondary school, encompassing children of ages 13-17. Students who wish to enroll in a Tier S3 school are allowed to graduate a biennium early.
- Tier 3 is analogous to the first two biennia of most undergraduate American universities, with less of an emphasis on general education. Students generally take lower division college classes in their intended major and the majority are from 18-20. It is common to take a gap biennia between tiers 2 and 3 to join the workforce, travel, etc. After completing a tier 3 education students are awarded a Class I Certification in their major, analogous to an associates degree. At this point, approximately 30% of students drop out and join the work force. The remaining 70% either continue on to a Tier 4 or Tier R4 degree.
- Tier S3 is analogous to a trade school, generally lasting two biennia with an emphasis almost entirely on the trade one wishes to develop. Students graduating from Tier S3 schools are granted a Class Is Certification and are qualified to work in most trades.
- Tier 4 is analogous to the 2nd two biennia of most undergraduate American universities, where students take upper division courses in their major. After completing Tier 4 students are awarded a Class II Certification in their major, equivalent to a bachelors degree.
- Tier R4 is an alternative to Tier 4, with the main differences being a heavy focus on research as well as the fact that it lasts three biennia rather than two. Tier R4 degrees grant Class IIr Certification in one's major, and are equivalent to a master's degree. They are generally required for Tier 5 programs.
- Tier 5 is equivalent to a PhD program, and generally lasts 3-6 biennia. They involve heavy amounts of research as well as a dissertation. Graduating grants a Class III Certification in one's concentration.
There are several types of schools designed to help students move through the tier system.
- Primary schools enroll young students. Graduates generally move on to Tier 2 programs.
- Secondary schools enroll Tier 1 students. Graduates generally move on to Tier 3 or Tier S3 programs.
- Colleges enroll Tier 2 students who wish to pursue a Tier 3 or Tier S3 program. They do not offer a Tier 4 program, however, and graduates must attend a separate institution. Colleges generally have guaranteed admission agreements with Research Universities and guaranteed transfer agreements with Universities.
- Universities enroll Tier 2 students who wish to pursue a combined Tier 3/4 or Tier 3/R4 program. They do not offer a Tier 5 program, and graduates must apply to a research university or laboratory.
- Research Universities enroll Tier 2 students who wish to pursue a Tier 3/R4 or Tier 5 program.
- Research Laboratories enroll students who wish to pursue a Tier 5 program.
The Nautical Peace is a member of the Offworld Development Fund
Jets are the primary mode of travel between the different regions of the Peace, which are separated from one another by thousands of kilometers of deep, glacial ocean. Though most budget travellers still rely on traditional jets -- capable of crossing the Peace's holdings in 12 hours -- supersonic jets are commonly in use for business trips, capable of crossing the Peace in less than 4 hours.
Military and law enforcement
|Offworld Enforcement (OE)||Conducts warfare and enforces law beyond the atmospheres of Pavala and Haki.|
|Air Force of the Peace (AFP)||Conducts lower-atmosphere warfare.|
|Imperial Army of the Peace (IAP)||Conducts ground warfare.|
|Special Forces of the Peace (SFP)||Conducts expeditionary warfare.|
|Imperial Navy of the Peace (INP)||Conducts naval warfare.|